Re: Enhancement request for pg_dump

От Pierre Chevalier Géologue
Тема Re: Enhancement request for pg_dump
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Le 18/04/2016 03:10, Sergei Agalakov a écrit :
> I just wanted to check that my request will have the peoples support.
> So far it doesn't.

Well, you can count on my support, for sure!

> It looks like that or people never need to compare two PG databases
> to find the differences in the schemas or security, or happy to use
> the third party tools to do it, and don't want any native support.

I definitely share your opinion.  But I understand that pg_dump wasn't
originally designed for this purpose, although such a feature would seem
so natural, at first glance.
So, another idea would be to implement another utility, something very
similar to pg_dump (probably sharing most of its code with it, or
calling pg_dump like my scripts did), but giving an ordered output.
Implementing such a tool outside of postgres would bring a bit more chaos.
So, the tool should be preferably bundled with postgres, to avoid the
need to get a third-party tool.
Hm. When I think about it twice, it sounds like overkilling.

Opinions?

> If I see any support from other people for this idea then I shall
> go to https://postgresql.uservoice.com/forums/21853-general,

I'd say +1, but the idea should be a bit more matured first, maybe?

À+
Pierre
Pierre Chevalier
PChGEI: Pierre Chevalier Géologue Et Informaticien
Partenaire DALIBO
Mesté Duran
32100 Condom
Tél+fax : 09 75 27 45 62