Re: Enhancement request for pg_dump

От Pierre Chevalier Géologue
Тема Re: Enhancement request for pg_dump
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi,
Le 18/04/2016 02:26, Sergei Agalakov a écrit :

> If you never encountered a situation when in the dozens of
> environments the databases has diverged because somebody has
> done something manually - good for you, you are lucky guy then.

I'm definitely not a lucky guy at all! :-)
And this is happening to me *right now*... My case is a little bit more
complicated, but I'll come back to this later on, probably in another
thread, in order to avoid confusion.

Last time I had to do this kind of exercise, a few years ago, I was in a
remote place without Internet access, so I could not get any information
or ask any help.  I was kind of surprised/frustrated by the (apparent)
lack of order of the pg_dump output.  So I manually wrote scripts to
export the tables and views' definitions separately, one by one, (using
pg_dump, of course) and stack them in the order I wished into a large
file.  That was quite suboptimal, but it worked as expected, and I was
able to diff and patch correctly.

And today, I thought: "time has passed, I'm sure that pg_dump must
magically have an option to get the output in some kind of order, by
now"... 'man pg_dump' didn't help.  And as I can read this discussion (I
haven't finished yet, obviously), this is not the case.

À+
Pierre
Pierre Chevalier
PChGEI: Pierre Chevalier Géologue Et Informaticien
Partenaire DALIBO
Mesté Duran
32100 Condom
Tél+fax : 09 75 27 45 62