Re: pg_upgrade test writes to source directory

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: pg_upgrade test writes to source directory
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On 31.05.22 09:17, Michael Paquier wrote:
>> Well, here is a formal patch set, then.  Please feel free to comment.
>>
>> FWIW, I am on the fence with dropping TESTDIR, as it could be used by
>> out-of-core test code as well.  If there are doubts about
>> back-patching the first part, doing that only on HEAD would be fine to
>> fix the problem of this thread.

> I don't understand the point of this first patch at all.  Why define
> TESTOUTDIR as a separate variable if it's always TESTDIR + tmp_check?
> Why define TESTOUTDIR in pg_regress invocations, if nothing uses it?  If
> you want it as a separate variable, it could be defined in some Per
> utility module, but I don't see why it needs to be in Makefile.global.
> What is the problem that this is trying to solve?

Yeah, after looking this over it seems like we could drop 0001 and
just change 0002 to chdir into TESTDIR then into tmp_check.  I'm not
sure I see the point of inventing a new global variable either,
and I'm definitely not happy with the proposed changes to
010_tab_completion.pl.  My recollection is that those tests
were intentionally written to test tab completion involving a
directory name, but this change just loses that aspect entirely.