Re: Deadlock between VACUUM and ALTER TABLE commands

От Alexey Bashtanov
Тема Re: Deadlock between VACUUM and ALTER TABLE commands
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On 14/04/16 18:34, Kevin Burke wrote:
Unfortunately I'm still seeing a very slow query which is affecting our tests. It's happening with roughly the same frequency as the previous error.

In the log, it looks like an INSERT on the users table takes about 23 seconds. This query is connecting from Javascript to a Postgres server on the same machine. After 18 seconds, the test performing the INSERT times out, we try to clear the database, and then the next test runs. The next test also attempts to INSERT a record, but is blocked on the first INSERT. After 5 more seconds, the first INSERT completes, and the second INSERT is allowed to run.

2016-04-14 00:46:54.649 UTC 2016-04-14 00:46:34 UTC [14308-570ee86a.37e4-42] 00000 ubuntu@circle_test LOG:  process 14308 still waiting for ExclusiveLock on extension of relation 17215 of database 16387 after 1000.104 ms
2016-04-14 00:46:54.649 UTC 2016-04-14 00:46:34 UTC [14308-570ee86a.37e4-43] 00000 ubuntu@circle_test DETAIL:  Process holding the lock: 14260. Wait queue: 14308.
2016-04-14 00:46:58.979 UTC 2016-04-14 00:46:34 UTC [14308-570ee86a.37e4-45] 00000 ubuntu@circle_test LOG:  process 14308 acquired ExclusiveLock on extension of relation 17215 of database 16387 after 5330.117 ms

Between the last time I emailed and now, I also disabled autovacuum on the server; it seemed unnecessary if we are issuing ~10k queries tops, and generating ~100k records tops, in the course of a test run. However, I didn't see any other queries or log messages (e.g. "kicking off autovacuum") that would have indicated a problem.

Here's the schema on the table that generated the 23-second long INSERT: https://gist.github.com/kevinburkeshyp/5a40d372b6aa1e1426801d8195cb0b61

Any ideas why an INSERT on an empty table, to a low-load server running on the same machine, with no other queries being generated during that time, could take 23 seconds to complete? The server is running Postgres 9.4.6.

What other information do I/you need to figure out what's going on?

Hello Kevin,

It would be nice if you could determine the names of the relations and queries for the processes mentioned in the log message quoted.
For relations simply cast the oid (numbers) to regclass, for processes please query pg_stat_activity.

Have you tried to turn autovacuum on?

Regards,
  Alexey