Re: 9.6 -> 10.0

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: 9.6 -> 10.0
Дата
Re: 9.6 -> 10.0  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
Список pgsql-advocacy
On 04/10/2016 04:23 PM, Jim Nasby wrote:

>>  From that:
>>
>>    * SQL compliant identifiers
>>    * Remove RULEs
>>    * Change recovery.conf
>>    * Change block headers
>>    * Retire template0, template1
>>    * Optimise FSM
>>    * Add heap metapage
>>    * Alter tuple headers

[snip]

> I've tried (unsuccessfully) 3 times now to write an email starting that
> discussion. I think this is an important topic that needs to be
> discussed, but it's not clear how to even get that ball rolling. Even
> without the inevitable flood of "Have you lost your mind?" type replies,
> I don't that we even have a robust enough process to make an intelligent
> decision. Sure, there could be wiki pages or something about this, but
> those won't move discussion by themselves.
>
> Maybe the first question that needs to be answered is how we can
> actually move the community to an informed decision about this.

What is the problem we are trying to solve?

SQL compliant indentifiers? Is there a sizeable user base requesting this?

Remove Rules? Why?

Retire template0, template1? Why?

I think those are the questions we need answered. Having a list of what
might be done in the future to break compatibility without a statement
as to the problem they cause or how the process will fix that problem is
basically hand waiving.

(note there are a couple that are obvious, heap metapage, optimise FSM
etc...)

Sincerely,

JD

                         +1-503-667-4564