Re: Native XML

От David E. Wheeler
Тема Re: Native XML
Дата
Re: Native XML  (Mike Fowler <mike@mlfowler.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Feb 27, 2011, at 11:23 AM, Tom Lane wrote:

> Well, that's why I asked --- if it's going to be a huge chunk of code,
> then I agree this is the wrong path to pursue.  However, I do feel that
> libxml pretty well sucks, so if we could replace it with a relatively
> small amount of code, that might be the right thing to do.

I think that XML parsers must be hard to get really right, because of all those I've used in Perl, XML::LibXML is far
andaway the best. Its docs suck, but it does the work really well.

> No, because the xpath stuff is fundamentally broken, and nobody seems to
> know how to make libxslt do what we actually need.  See the open bugs
> on the TODO list.

XPath is broken? I use it heavily in the Perl module Test::XPath and now, in PostgreSQL, with my explanation extension.
 http://github.com/theory/explanation/

Is this something I need to worry about?

Best,

David