Re: proposal: get oldest LSN - function

От Kartyshov Ivan
Тема Re: proposal: get oldest LSN - function
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 28.02.2016 11:36, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 28, 2016 at 4:40 PM, Kartyshov Ivan wrote:
>> It will not satisfy our purposes and our administrators for three reasons.
>> 1) DBA set me task to get the oldest number that present in WAL, not last
> Yeah I got that.
>
>> 2) Surely we can choose the oldest segment from list "pg_ls_dir('pg_xlog')"
>> of segments and calculate the first LSN by hand, but it is not what we want
>> to do manually.
> That's where I am not following. In any case you are just one SQL
> query away from the result. And actually  your patch is incorrect I
> think. If you care about the oldest record available you should look
> for the first LSN position of the oldest segment, no? What you are
> calculating now is the oldest virtual LSN position in local pg_xlog.

Sorry, for long not answering and thank you for time you spent reviewing
this patch, please clarify what you meen, when you say "virtual LSN
position".
In whole you are right, my main goal is to get the oldest LSN position
in local pg_xlog, and i agree with you that it isn`t too hard to get it
by SQL query. But it will be more usefull, to have easy access in
userspace.

--
Ivan Kartyshov
Postgres Professional: www.postgrespro.com