Re: Complicated re-distribution of pgjdbc the "open source way"

От Árpád Magosányi
Тема Re: Complicated re-distribution of pgjdbc the "open source way"
Дата
Re: Complicated re-distribution of pgjdbc the "open source way"  (Pavel Raiskup <praiskup@redhat.com>)
Список pgsql-jdbc
On 03/08/2016 10:33 AM, Pavel Raiskup wrote:
> On Monday 07 of March 2016 18:31:41 Vladimir Sitnikov wrote:
>
>> Pavel> even patches from us to support pure open source build are not wanted
>>
>> I'm afraid this ^^ is misleading.
>>
>> Patches are welcome provided they include tests to cover the change.
>> No tests -> no acceptance. It is in line with typical development
>> model, isn't it?
> This is *your* easy excuse to not incorporate change ;).  100% coverage is
> a sci-fi, as anybody must agree.  What am I going to test on Fedora if I
> patch osgi out?  Am I going to test that it does not work?  If yes, I'm
> fine to write the patch.
>
> You refused attempts to post patches which would make some code optional,
> at which point it is not useful to think about testing something.
>
> Other than that, not everything is easily testable in your actual CI.

You hit my pet peeve here. We are not animals. Intelligent people do TDD,
and clean code. The rest should write unit tests.
TDD and clean code are the rules of software development as a profession.
Simply because they are the only known practice to avoid fscking up the
code.

Of course there are cases which cannot be tested, but you have to provide
a reason at least.

Сообщение: Re: Complicated re-distribution of pgjdbc the "open source way"
Сообщение: Re: Complicated re-distribution of pgjdbc the "open source way"