Re: [SPAM] Re: autovacuum disk IO

От Moreno Andreo
Тема Re: [SPAM] Re: autovacuum disk IO
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Il 02/03/2016 16:49, Scott Marlowe ha scritto:
> On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 8:45 AM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 8:25 AM, Artem Tomyuk <admin@leboutique.com> wrote:
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> I've noticed that autovac. process worked more than 10 minutes, during this
>>> zabbix logged more than 90% IO disk utilization on db volume....
>>>
>>> ===========>29237   2016-03-02 15:17:23 EET 00000 [24-1]LOG:  automatic
>>> vacuum of table "lb_upr.public._reference32": index scans: 1
>>> pages: 0 removed, 263307 remain
>>> tuples: 298 removed, 1944753 remain, 0 are dead but not yet removable
>>> buffer usage: 67814 hits, 265465 misses, 15647 dirtied
>>> avg read rate: 3.183 MB/s, avg write rate: 0.188 MB/s
>>> system usage: CPU 5.34s/6.27u sec elapsed 651.57 sec
>>>
>>> Is it possible to log autovac. io impact during it execution?
>>> Is there any way to limit or "nice" autovac. process?
>> I'll assume you're running a fairly recent version of postgresql.
>>
>> There are a few settings that adjust how hard autovacuum works when
>> it's working.
>>
>> autovacuum_max_workers tells autovacuum how many threads to vacuum
>> with. Lowering this will limit the impact of autovacuum, but generally
>> the default setting of 3 is reasonable on most machines.
>>
>> autovacuum_vacuum_cost_delay sets how to wail between internal rounds.
>> Raising this makes autovacuum take bigger pauses internally. The
>> default of 20ms is usually large enough to keep you out of trouble,
>> but feel free to raise it and see if your IO utilization lowers.
>>
>> autovacuum_vacuum_cost_limit sets a limit to how much work to do
>> between the pauses set by the cost delay above. Lowering this will
>> cause autovac to do less work between pauses.
>>
>> Most of the time I'm adjusting these I'm making vacuum more
>> aggressive, not less aggressive because vacuum falling behind is a
>> problem on the large, fast production systems I work on. In your case
>> you want to watch for when autovacuum IS running, and using a tool
>> like vmstat or iostat or iotop, watch it for % utilization. You can
>> then adjust cost delay and cost limit to make it less aggressive and
>> see if your io util goes down.
>>
>> Note though that 90% utilization isn't 100% so it's not likely
>> flooding the IO. But if you say raise cost delay from 20 to 40ms, it
>> might drop to 75% or so. The primary goal here is to arrive at numbers
>> that left autovacuum keep up with reclaiming the discarded tuples in
>> the database without getting in the way of the workload.
>>
>> If your workload isn't slowing down, or isn't slowing down very much,
>> during autobvacuum then you're OK.
> Just to add a point here. If you're machine can't keep up with
> production load AND the job of vacuuming, then your IO subsystem is
> too slow and needs upgrading. The difference between a pair of
> spinning 7200RPM drives and a pair of enterprise class SSDs (always
> with power off safe writing etc, consumer SSDs can eat your data on
> [...]
... or maybe add some more RAM to have more disk caching (if you're on
*nix).... this worked for me in the past... even if IMHO it's more a
temporary "patch" while upgrading (if it can't be done in a hurry) than
a real solution...

Cheers
Moreno.

От: Scott Marlowe
Сообщение: Re: autovacuum disk IO
От: Scott Marlowe
Сообщение: Re: [SPAM] Re: autovacuum disk IO