Re: PostgreSQL flavors

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: PostgreSQL flavors
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 02/23/2016 07:51 AM, Sherrie Kubis wrote:
> Hello, my first post to the list, thank you for this place to ask
> questions and get help.
>
> Our management has tasked me with devising a plan to migrate our
> existing databases from Oracle to PostgreSQL.  I’m researching and
> getting familiar with PostgreSQL before getting a Linux box to start
> learning and staging.  I have a long way to go, but it will be fun.
>
> Out of the gate, I can see different PostgreSQL products – PostgreSQL,
> PostgreSQLPlus, EnterpriseDB Advanced Server.

There is only one PostgreSQL.Org database product and that is the Open
Source PostgreSQL. PostgresPlus, and EnterpriseDB Advanced Server are
commercially supported, closed source, enhanced versions. Therefore it
really depends on your needs.

If management wants to avoid vendor lock in and truly reduce costs, I
would recommend the .Org version of PostgreSQL. It allows you the
greatest flexibility in:

  * Cost reduction
  * Features and extensibility
  * Support
    Commercial support is literally available from dozens of vendors.

In short, going from one closed source environment to another closed
source environment doesn't help a proper enterprise ecosystem nearly as
much as investing in a community contributor driven platform.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

                         +1-503-667-4564