Re: PostgreSQL flavors

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: PostgreSQL flavors
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 02/23/2016 07:51 AM, Sherrie Kubis wrote:
> Hello, my first post to the list, thank you for this place to ask
> questions and get help.

Welcome.

> Our management has tasked me with devising a plan to migrate our
> existing databases from Oracle to PostgreSQL.  I’m researching and
> getting familiar with PostgreSQL before getting a Linux box to start
> learning and staging.  I have a long way to go, but it will be fun.
>
> Out of the gate, I can see different PostgreSQL products – PostgreSQL,
> PostgreSQLPlus, EnterpriseDB Advanced Server.

Well you are looking at the community version
PostgreSQL(http://www.postgresql.org/)  versus versions created by
EnterpriseDB(http://www.enterprisedb.com). EDB has the community version
wrapped in an installer which is free. Its other versions have addons
and are fee based. There are also quite a few other companies that
support Postgres:

http://www.postgresql.org/support/professional_support/northamerica/

> For staging I’ll likely start with the vanilla version.  I’ve been
> searching for a comparison of different product sets; I’ve found some
> things, but in other places different information.  There is a lot to
> sift through.  For example, we are now using non-active Data Guard to a
> standby for disaster recovery.  What is the different on this

I would take a look here:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/interactive/backup.html

and here:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/interactive/high-availability.html

in particular:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/interactive/different-replication-solutions.html

Table 25-1

> functionality in the 3 products? Or perhaps there are more products than
> I’ve found.  Cost will be a factor for us, but I also consider that
> costs are not only product and maintenance costs, there are DBA and
> developer migration costs as well.

I would suggest starting with the community version:

http://www.postgresql.org/download/

If you do not want to set up an entire machine, set up a Linux VM and
install Postgres. It will not be the best indication of performance, but
it will allow you to explore the feature set.

> Any insights or information is appreciated.

Since you are looking at migrating from Oracle, see here:

http://ora2pg.darold.net/

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com