Re: Windows performance

От Tim Clarke
Тема Re: Windows performance
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 12/02/16 15:45, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On 02/12/2016 07:37 AM, Sterpu Victor wrote:
>> Hello
>> Why is Postgres so slow on Windows compared to linux?
>> Can I do something to match the performance?
>> I have 2 servers:
>> - one is Windows 8, CPU XEON, 8 CORES,  32G of RAM - my test query runs
>> in 17 seconds
>> - the other is Linux CPU XEON, 4 cores, 4 Gh of RAM - my test query runs
>> in 2 seconds
> Assuming the version of Postgres is the same on both machine.
> In any case what are the versions on the machines?
>
>> I run the query on the same database.
> What is the query and what is the output of EXPLAIN ANALYZE?
>
>> CPU is not used at max on the servers, RAM is fine.

But that doesn't mean the servers aren't busy. To really compare, wait
until your servers are actually quiescent - ideally no other users at
all. Then assuming that Adrian's questions about configuration below
don't yield any differences *and* your databases are actually identical
on both machines you can really do a comparative test. Remember that
your first run will load the data into cache on the respective machine
so subsequent runs will be less dependent on disk sub-system speed.