Re: proposal: schema PL session variables

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: proposal: schema PL session variables
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2/10/16 11:25 AM, Pavel Stehule wrote:

>     Oh, and I suggest we call them SESSION variables rather than SCHEMA
>     variables, to reinforce the idea of how long the values in the
>     variables live. A session variable is in a sense a 1x1 temp table,
>     whose definition persists across sessions but whose value does not.
>

> I didn't propose SESSION variables - now there are some workarounds how
> to anybody can emulate it, so this feature can wait. What we need is
> safe session variables with limited access. And the border can be
> defined by schema scope. So the keyword SCHEMA has sense, and it is
> necessary.

BTW, if all that's desired here are session variables for plpgsql, I
think it makes a lot more sense to start with implementing per-function
session variables. That's a lot simpler design-wise and is something we
should have anyway. You don't necessarily want session variables to be
schema-level. (I realize the other PLs make them global, which is even
worse, but that's no reason to continue that path.)

Сообщение: Re: proposal: schema PL session variables
Сообщение: Re: proposal: schema PL session variables