Re: PostgreSQL vs Firebird SQL

От Andy Colson
Тема Re: PostgreSQL vs Firebird SQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 2/9/2016 10:10 PM, ioan ghip wrote:
> I have a Firebird SQL database running on one of my servers which has
> about 50k inserts, about 100k updates and about 30k deletes every day.
> There are about 4 million records in 24 tables. I have a bunch of stored
> procedures, triggers, events and views that I'm using.
> Firebird works fairly well, but from time to time the database gets
> corrupted and I couldn't figure out yet (after many years of running)
> what's the reason. When this happens I run "gfix -mend -full -ignore",
> backup and restore the db and everything is fine until next problem in a
> week, or a month.
>
> I never used PostgreSQL. Yesterday I installed it on my development
> machine and after few tests I saw that it's fairly easy to use.
>
> Does anyone have experience with both, Firebird and PostgreSQL? Is
> PostgreSQL way better performing than Firebird? Is it worth the effort
> moving away from Firebird? Would I gain stability and increased performance?
>
> Thanks.

One of our windows apps runs on a client/server setup in the office, and
then on laptop for remote use.  We use Firebird (FB) for both.  Its a
quick simple install, runs in 8 meg of ram, has zero maintenance.

The only time I've seen corruptions is anti-virus scanning the db, and
HD/raid problems.

FB is a nice little db.  That said, I can wholeheartedly recommend PG!
It could still run on a laptop, might require a bit more maintenance,
but on a dedicated server, it would be able to grow and use all the
resources available.

If you have HD/raid problems, then you wont gain stability.  Upgrading
between major versions is also more difficult.

That said, yes, you'd gain stability and performance, and not only that,
a huge amount of functionality.  A Huge Amount!

FB has, replace() for string ops, oh and substring().  Baa.  That's
nothing compared to PG's.  Its like that Aladdin song 'a whole new world'!

You know, in FB, when one person does a large delete on a table?  The
next person that runs a select will perform the vacuum on it.  Its the
person running the select that pays the time for a huge delete.  In PG,
there is a background vacuum task, so users don't pay the price.

Respect for FB, but my heart belongs to PG.

-Andy