Re: Updated backup APIs for non-exclusive backups

От David Steele
Тема Re: Updated backup APIs for non-exclusive backups
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2/10/16 9:44 AM, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Magnus Hagander (magnus@hagander.net) wrote:
>>> backup
>>>
>>> I think we might want to make this one optional, but I'm not going to
>>> fight super hard for it.
>>
>> Not sure what you're referring to here. Do you mean being able to make a
>> non-exclusive backup while not maintaining a connection? That's going to
>> make things a *lot* more complicated, as we'd have to invent something like
>> "backup slots" similar to what we're doing with replication slots. I doubt
>> it's worth all that work and complexity.

Agreed.

> Hrmmm.  If that's the case then perhaps you're right.  I liked the
> general idea of not having to maintain a TCP connection during the
> entire backup (TCP connections can be annoyingly finicky in certain
> environments...), but I'm not sure it's worth a lot of additional
> complexity.

Well, pgBackRest holds a connection to PostgreSQL through the entire
backup and will abort the backup if it is severed.  The connection is
always held locally, though, even if the master backup process is on a
different server.  I haven't gotten any reports of aborted backups due
to the connection failing.

--
-David
david@pgmasters.net

Сообщение: Re: Updated backup APIs for non-exclusive backups
Сообщение: Re: Updated backup APIs for non-exclusive backups