Re: PostgreSQL vs Firebird SQL

От Achilleas Mantzios
Тема Re: PostgreSQL vs Firebird SQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 10/02/2016 12:40, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 10:34:53AM +0200, Achilleas Mantzios wrote:
>
> PG on tankers:
>
>> About checksums in our office master DB that's a fine idea, too bad that pg_upgrade doesn't cope with them
> I am sure you have considered "failing over" the master to an
> in-office slave which has got checksums turned on ?

Is that possible with standard streaming replication? As far as I am concerned the (master/hot standby) images have to
beidentical (no initdb involved). I guess you mean some sort of external
(logical?) replication mechanism? We are trying to avoid initdb and restore for the obvious reasons.
But anyway, we have streaming replication to a hot standby (non checksum server) + WAL archiving for some years now.
For10+ years we survived (surprisingly!!) without those, we are better than ever
now. BTW, the checksum feature would definitely make sense to run on our vessels where the vibrations and harsh
conditionstend to affect hardware badly. Unfortunately migrating from 8.3 is a huge
project, which we won't be forever postponing and should deal with some day.

--
Achilleas Mantzios
IT DEV Lead