Re: a raft of parallelism-related bug fixes

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: a raft of parallelism-related bug fixes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 02/08/2016 11:24 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 2:00 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>> If I am off base, please feel free to yell Latin at me again but isn't this
>> exactly what different trees are for in Git? Would it be possible to say:
>>
>> Robert says, "Hey pull XYZ, run ABC tests. They are what the parallelism
>> fixes do"?
>>
>> I can't review this patch but I can run a test suite on a number of
>> platforms and see if it behaves as expected.
>
> Sure, I'd love to have the ability to push a branch into the buildfarm
> and have the tests get run on all the buildfarm machines and let that
> bake for a while before putting it into the main tree.  The problem
> here is that the complicated part of this patch is something that's
> only going to be tested in very rare cases.  The simple part of the

I have no problem running any test cases you wish on a branch in a loop
for the next week and reporting back any errors.

Where this gets tricky is the tooling itself. For me to be able to do so
(and others really) I need to be able to do this:
* Download (preferably a tarball but I can do a git pull)* Exact instructions on how to set up the tests* Exact
instructionson how to run the tests        * Exact instructions on how to report the tests

If anyone takes the time to do that, I will take the time and resources
to run them.

What I can't do, is fiddle around trying to figure out how to set this
stuff up. I don't have the time and it isn't productive for me. I don't
think I am the only one in this boat.

Let's be honest, a lot of people won't even bother to play with this
even though it is easily one of the best features we have coming for 9.6
until we release 9.6.0. That is a bad time to be testing.

The easier we make it for people like me, practitioners to test, the
better it is for the whole project.

Sincerely,

JD

--