Re: proposal: make NOTIFY list de-duplication optional

От Vik Fearing
Тема Re: proposal: make NOTIFY list de-duplication optional
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 02/07/2016 04:00 PM, Filip Rembiałkowski wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 7, 2016 at 11:54 AM, Vik Fearing <vik@2ndquadrant.fr> wrote:
>> I seem to remember some discussion about not using DEFAULT parameters in
>> system functions so you should leave the old function alone and create a
>> new function with your use_all parameter.  I don't recall the exact
>> reason why so hopefully someone else will enlighten me.
>
> I'm quite new to this; how do I pinpoint proper OID for a new catalog
> object (function, in this case)?
> Is there a better way than browsing fmgr files and guessing next available oid?

There is a shell script called `unused_oids` in src/include/catalog/.

>> There is also no mention in the documentation about what happens if I do:
>>
>>     NOTIFY ALL chan, 'msg';
>>     NOTIFY ALL chan, 'msg';
>>     NOTIFY DISTINCT chan, 'msg';
>>     NOTIFY ALL chan, 'msg';
>>
>> Without testing, I'd say I'd get two messages, but it should be
>> explicitly mentioned somewhere.
>
> If it's four separate transactions, LISTEN'er should get four.

The question was for one transaction, I should have been clearer about that.

> If it's in one transaction,  LISTEN'er should get three.

This is surprising to me, I would think it would get only two.  What is
your rationale for three?

Compare with the behavior of:
   select 1   union all   select 1   union distinct   select 1   union all   select 1;
--
Vik Fearing                                          +33 6 46 75 15 36

Сообщение: Re: Recently added typedef "string" is a horrid idea
Сообщение: Re: Recently added typedef "string" is a horrid idea