Re: silent data loss with ext4 / all current versions

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: silent data loss with ext4 / all current versions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 02/06/2016 01:16 PM, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 6, 2016 at 2:11 AM, Tomas Vondra
> <tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

>>> More precise: what I mean here is that should an OS crash or a
>>> power failure happen, we would fall back to recovery at next
>>> restart, so we would not actually *lose* data.
>>

>> Except that we actually can't perform the recovery properly
>> because we may not have the last WAL segment (or multiple
>> segments), so we can't replay the last batch of transactions. And
>> we don't even notice that.
>
> Still the data is here... But well. I won't insist.

Huh? This thread started by an example how to cause loss of committed
transactions. That fits my definition of "data loss" quite well.

> Tomas, could you have a look at the latest patch I wrote? It would be
> good to get fresh eyes on it. We could work on a version for ~9.4
> once we have a clean approach for master/9.5.

Yep, I'll take a look - I've been out of office for the past 2 weeks,
but I've been following the discussion and I agree with the changes
discussed there (e.g. adding safe_rename and such).

regards

Сообщение: Re: proposal: make NOTIFY list de-duplication optional
Сообщение: Re: proposal: make NOTIFY list de-duplication optional