Re: "using previous checkpoint record at" maybe not the greatest idea?

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: "using previous checkpoint record at" maybe not the greatest idea?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2/4/16 3:37 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2016-02-03 09:28:24 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
>> Would we still have some way of forcing the older checkpoint record to
>> be used if somebody wants to try to do that?
>
> I think currently the best way to force an arbitrary checkpoint to be
> used is creating a "custom" backup label. Not that nice.  Not sure if we
> need something nice here, I don't really see a frequent need for this.
>
> We could add another option to pg_resetxlog alternatively :/

I guess you'd have to scan through WAL files by hand to find the next
oldest checkpoint?

I'm guessing that if this is happening in the field there's a decent
chance people aren't noticing it, so maybe the best thing for now is to
turn off the automatic behavior bust still have a relatively easy way to
re-enable it. In case this is more common than we think...