Re: pglogical - logical replication contrib module

От Steve Singer
Тема Re: pglogical - logical replication contrib module
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 01/26/2016 10:43 AM, Craig Ringer wrote:
> On 23 January 2016 at 11:17, Steve Singer <steve@ssinger.info
> <mailto:steve@ssinger.info>> wrote:
>

>     ** Schema changes involving rewriting big tables
>
>     Sometimes you have a DDL change on a large table that will involve
>     a table rewrite and the best way of deploying the change is to
>     make the DDL change
>     on a replicate then once it is finished promote the replica to the
>     origin in some controlled fashion.  This avoids having to lock the
>     table on the origin for hours.
>
>     pglogical seems to allow minor schema changes on the replica such
>     as changing a type but it doesn't seem to allow a DO INSTEAD
>     trigger on the replica.  I don't think pglogical currently meets
>     this use case particularly well
>

> I'm not sure I fully understand that one.

Say you have a table A with column b

and the next version of your application you want to create a second
table B that has column B

create table B (b text);
insert into B select b from a;
alter table a drop column b;

but you want to do this on a replica because it is a very big table and
you want to minimize downtown.

You could have a trigger on the replica that performed updates on B.b
instead of A except triggers don't seem to get run on the replica.

>  Craig Ringer http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
>  PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training & Services

Steve