Re: Merge pgjdbc-parent-poms project into pgjdbc please

От Álvaro Hernández Tortosa
Тема Re: Merge pgjdbc-parent-poms project into pgjdbc please
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc

On 24/01/16 19:23, Vladimir Sitnikov wrote:
> Álvaro>- What if, for instance, the jre6 version wants to use a
> different version of a given dependency?
>
> It will just override the version.
     Sure, it can be overridden. But let me put it in a different way:
to me, this is kind of a leaking abstraction. We're putting on the
parent stuff that the parent should not know about (like an osgi or
waffle dependency). Really, dependencies on a global parent pom (even if
on dependencyManagenemt, which is where they belong) are only for those
things so common that you surely want to use them all the time. waffle,
osgi, do not fit in this category. Logging or findbugs may, for instance.

> However, the idea is to keep versions the same as much as it is possible.

     That's desirable, but not always possible.

> Álvaro>- What does it mean for pgjdbc/ubenchmark project to "know"
> about waffle or osgi dependencies?
>
> It means that we can benchmark exactly the libraries that are in the
> dependencies of the main project.
> How otherwise would you pick a waffle version in case you want to benchmark it?

     Sure, if the benchmark wants to benchmark waffle, then it must of
course include that dependency. But today is not doing that, and that's
why it should not have that dependency.

> Álvaro> is not uncommon to see dependencies having different versions
> for Java <=6 and Java > 6)
>
> The idea is "current setup" is "good enough", so we would drop Java 6
> support earlier than such "specific for Java 6 dependency" appears.

     I think current setup is great. It's just that the dependencies
declared in the parent pom, in my opinion, should be in their individual
projects.

     Cheers,

     Álvaro

От: Vladimir Sitnikov
Сообщение: Re: Merge pgjdbc-parent-poms project into pgjdbc please
От: Vladimir Sitnikov
Сообщение: Re: Merge pgjdbc-parent-poms project into pgjdbc please