Re: Backend protocol wanted features

От Álvaro Hernández Tortosa
Тема Re: Backend protocol wanted features
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
On 29/12/15 20:22, Kevin Wooten wrote:
> Add “schema change notifications”.

     This is an interesting idea.

     I wonder, however, if a protocol message is the place for it. I
think it belongs to logical decoding (and yes, I know there is no
current support for DDL in logical decoding, but there should be). So I
wouldn't add this specifically to the febe protocol.

     On another topic, I'd look into considering some of the ideas of
the "protocol" designed by the pglogical_output plugin
(http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAMsr+YGc6AYKjsCj0Zfz=X4Aczonq1SfQx9C=hUYUN4j2pKwHA@mail.gmail.com)
for possible inclusion as first-class constructs in a new version of the
protocol.

     Álvaro

--
Álvaro Hernández Tortosa

8Kdata

> Currently “-ng” uses a bit of magic, mid query, to detect when schema changes have occurred. This is how the binary
typesremain correctly mapped.  A notification sent whenever a type (basically anything in pg_type) is altered in any
waywould solve this problem perfectly. It would be best if the notification included the type oids that changed.

> The infrastructure is already there in both needed respects, notifications & it already knows internally about the
changes)so this should be something that could be easily added to the current protocol.