Re: Let PostgreSQL's On Schedule checkpoint write buffer smooth spread cycle by tuning IsCheckpointOnSchedule?

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: Let PostgreSQL's On Schedule checkpoint write buffer smooth spread cycle by tuning IsCheckpointOnSchedule?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

> On 21/12/15 13:53, Tomas Vondra wrote:
>>>
>>> Agreed.
>>
>> What if it only seems to work well because it was tested on cases it was
>> designed for? What about the workloads that behave differently?
>>
>> Whenever we do changes to costing and query planning, we carefully
>> consider counter-examples and cases where it might fail. I see nothing
>> like that in this thread - all I see is a bunch of pgbench tests, which
>> seems rather insufficient to me.
>
> Agreed on that too.
>
>> I'm ready to spend some time on this, assuming we can agree on what
>> tests to run. Can we come up with realistic workloads where we expect
>> the patch might actually work poorly?
>
> I think the worst case scenario would be the case where there is no
> FPW-related WAL burst at all, and checkpoints are always triggered by
> max_wal_size rather than checkpoint_timeout. In that scenario, the
> compensation formula will cause the checkpoint to be too lazy in the
> beginning, and it will have to catch up more aggressively towards the
> end of the checkpoint cycle.
>
> One such scenario might be to do only COPYs into a table with no
> indexes. Or hack pgbench to do concentrate all the updates on only a few
> very rows. There will be a FPW on those few pages initially, but the
> spike will be much shorter. Or turn full_page_writes=off, and hack the
> patch to do compensation even when fullpage_writes=off, and then just
> run pgbench.

OK, the COPY scenario works interesting and also realistic because it
probably applies to systems doing batch loads.

So that's one test to do, can we come up with some other?

We probably do want to do a bunch of pgbench tests, with various scales
and also distributions - the gaussian/exponential distributions seem
useful for simulating OLTP systems that usually have just s small active
set (instead of touching all the data). This surely affects how much FPW
we do and at what point - my expectetion is that the non-uniform
distributions will have a long tail of FPW.

So I was thinking about these combinations:

* modes: uniform, gaussian, exponential
* scales: 1000 (15GB), 10000 (150GB)
* clients: 1, 2, 4, 8, 16 (to see impact on scalability, if any)

Each combination needs to run for at least an hour or two, possibly with
multiple runs. I'll also try running this both on SSD-based sytem and a
system with 10k drives, because those will probably behave differently.

Also, are we tracking the amount of FPW during the checkpoint,
somewhere? That'd be useful, at least for this patch. Or do we need to
just track the amount of WAL produced?

regards