Re: [HACKERS] Threads in PostgreSQL

От Konstantin Knizhnik
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Threads in PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

PostgreSQL is not using threads but it is possible to spawn thread in your PostgreSQL extensions.
For example, I have used pool of threads in my IMCS extension.
But you need to build your  extension with -pthread:

CUSTOM_COPT = -pthread

Also, please take in account that many PostgreSQL functions (even in/out or comparison functions) are not reentrant: them are storing their state in global variables.
So you will get race conditions if you are calling  such functions from multiple threads.

Concerning stack overflow, I think that the most probable reason is trivial infinite recursion.
Did you inspect stack trace in debugger?