Cannot log in as newly created user

От Emma Saurus
Тема Cannot log in as newly created user
Дата
Re: Cannot log in as newly created user  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-bugs
Hello, I hope that you may be able to help me with this very basic
problem. I have read many fora posts as well as your documentation, and
have been unable to resolve it myself.

I am running PostgreSQL 9.3.10. I can log in as the default postgres
user. I follow instructions to create a new role with a password. I log
out and try to log in as the new user, but am not permitted. I've tried
several variations of code without success. Latest, most
out-of-the-manual code as follows:

---
postgres=# CREATE ROLE EmmaChwan CREATEDB LOGIN PASSWORD 'password';
 > CREATE ROLE
postgres=# \q

C:\Users\EmmaChwan>psql
 > Password:
 > psql: FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "EmmaChwan"
---

I don't know if it's related, but just for the record: I had
installation issues, too.

I tried to install postgres 9.4 several times with the EnterpriseDB
Windows package (also re-downloaded the package a couple of times). I
was never given the option of entering a password, and the generic
password 'postgres' did not allow me to log in. I tried installing
without any antivirus/firewall software active; still no success.

When I installed version 9.3, I was given the password creation screen
and could log in via command line with the password I set. Success! Kinda...

I'm running Windows 8 x64 on an Intel processor, if that information is
of any use at all. I've seen a number of users post with the same 'no
password screen' problem, and each was told, "Nuh-uh, you did too get a
password screen." I can cast one vote in favor of those posters not
being crazy / premature 'Next'-button clickers.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. It's very
discouraging to get stuck on something so basic!
Thanks, Emma