Re: checkpoints, proper config

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: checkpoints, proper config
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 12/10/2015 06:20 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On 12/10/2015 01:12 AM, Tory M Blue wrote:
>
>> checkpoint_timeout = 5min
>>
>> checkpoint_completion_target = 0.9
>>

> The above is your problem. Make checkpoint_timeout = 1h . Also,
> considering turning synchronous_commit off.

I doubt that. The report mentioned that the checkpoints happen 0.027...
minutes apart (assuming the minutes_between_checkpoints is computed in a
sane way). That's way below 5 minutes, so the checkpoints have to be
triggered by something else - probably by running out of segments, but
we don't know the value before Tory increased it to 150.

Also, recommending synchronous_commit=off is a bit silly, because not
only it introduces data loss issues, but it'll likely cause even more
frequent checkpoints.

Tory, please enable logging of checkpoints (log_checkpoints=on). Also, I
don't think it makes much sense to set

    (checkpoint_warning > checkpoint_timeout)

as it kinda defeats the whole purpose of the warning.

regards

Сообщение: Re: checkpoints, proper config
Сообщение: Re: checkpoints, proper config