Re: dynloader.h missing in prebuilt package for Windows?

От Chapman Flack
Тема Re: dynloader.h missing in prebuilt package for Windows?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 12/04/15 12:56, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> OK, good logical reason to install dynloader.h on Windows.

Ah!  Thanks.  I was starting to wonder whether I had said something wrong
and been sent to the bit bucket within my first two -hackers posts. :)

> What do we need to do to close this item?  What versions of Windows
> installers are missing dynloader.h?  Mingw?  MSVC?  EDB's?  OpenSCG?
> Postgres Pro (Russian)?

I am too new around here to be able to supply good answers myself to
those questions.  I keep learning though.  For example, I have just
learned that OpenSCG and Postgres Pro (Russian) are things, and (by
inference) that they run on Windows. :)

In working on PL/Java, as a non-Windows dev myself, I have been
blessed to find Ken Olson willing to build my WIP branches in MSVC
and tell me what I've busted. I think he's building against an EDB
installation of PostgreSQL, so that's the combination I am least
ignorant about. I know that mingw has also been used, but I haven't
yet made a connection with someone who can tell me what I'm breaking
for that build....

> Is this a change we need to make on the server end and then all the
> installers will automatically install the file?  It is present in all
> Unix-like installs?

AFAICS, it must at one time have been envisioned that sometimes
extension code might like a nice dynloader; the whole way that
backend/port/dynloader contains a version for every platform, and
the configure script links the appropriate one into src/include with
all the other .h files that would go into a -devel package, makes me
_think_ that it'd be present in any install that used configure in
the build. Anyone building a -devel package would have to go out
of their way to exclude it but still package the other .h files.

So I'd guess that Windows builds that don't use configure are probably
the odd players out. But I don't have any contacts or name recognition
to approach { EDB, OpenSCG, Postgres Pro } and find out how their
internal build processes work, or whether they all end up lacking
the file, or whether there is any single change that could be made
in the PG source tree so that their builds would then all include it.

>  Also, I am very glad you are working on PL/Java.  :-)

Thanks!  It has been interesting trying to get up to speed, both on
how it technically works, and also on the development history, why it
lives out-of-tree, and so on. (That question had puzzled me for a long
time, and when I finally found the long 2006 -hackers thread,
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/44B3952B.2080401@tada.se
I was like your genealogy-obsessed aunt finding a trunk in the attic. :)

I can see that a lot of the considerations raised in that thread, both
ways, are still pertinent today, plus with nine more years behind us
to see how things have actually played out. Tom Lane was concerned about
what would happen if Thomas's time for maintenance became scarce, and
what seems to happen is someone like Johann Oskarsson, or yours truly,
will step up, flounder a bit to get over the learning curve, and then
carry the ball some distance. There is a bit of a barrier to entry,
because PostgreSQL and Java are each large and deep and PL/Java has
both, and for the future vigor of the project it seems important to
find the ways to minimize that barrier. (I know I'm getting OT from
dynloader here, but this other stuff has been on my mind a while.)

That doesn't require reopening the in-tree question necessarily
(I saw that Tom Lane was concerned about a buildfarm going all red
because of a problem too few people could easily fix), but it would
probably be very helpful to at least have some kind of _associated
buildfarm_ so the main board might not go all red, but it would still
be easy to see right away if a change was going to affect important
out-of-tree components.

That seems to have been a worthwhile idea nine years ago (I read that
Andrew Dunstan _almost_ found the time to set it up then), and
still today something like that would be very helpful. PL/Java still needs
work on an easily-automatable suite of tests (that much, I'm working on),
and once that's in place, the next obvious and valuable step would be to get
it building continuously on the several major platforms, so it can turn red
on some board that the team can easily see. I might ask for some help or
suggestions on what are the currently most-favored ways to do that.

I think that with more automated testing and CI, the barrier to entry on
PL/Java contributions will be a lot lower, because it is much less
intimidating to start poking at something when it is easy to see what
happens.

But that's all food for future thought ... this thread's about dynloader ...

-Chap