Re: Single-file DBs WAS: Need concrete "Why Postgres

От Maksim Likharev
Тема Re: Single-file DBs WAS: Need concrete "Why Postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Just want to add my $0.03 on that.
single file DB has some benefits as:
1. ability to allocate one continues chunk on disk,   significantly reduces disk seeks,   mostly ancestral but still
truetoday ( I still see DB living on none
arrays )
2. And of cause countless design considerations.

Saying that corruption in single file DB more severe probably not true
cause
one way or another you have to restore from backup, unless you can yank
corrupted
table/index/etc. file from some place else.

And more important, I have no idea how Oracle does it, but for MS SQL
transaction log
is a separate file, so if you lost transaction log... this is another
story, but
nothing to do with single/multi file dbs.

And as for SQL Server, DB is usually 2 files db and log, very very
useful in handling
I can just copy, zip one file or attach/detach db.

Anyway there is no black and white here, different designs and different
limitations, like
On Windows it is very reasonable and I would say correct to have single
db file.
On *nix it is difficult ( using POSIX calls ), to have single file due
to 2GB
limit on 32 bit CPUs and so on...
Choices, choices...