Re: BDR and Backup and Recovery

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: BDR and Backup and Recovery
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 11/18/15 10:53 AM, Will McCormick wrote:
> Regarding testing backups, Well said Jim. Thanks for taking the time to
> respond. I will test regularly whatever we decide to put in place.
>
> The below is from the 0.9.3 BDR documentation:
>
> "Because logical replication is only supported in streaming mode (rather
> than WAL archiving) it isn't suitable for point-in-time recovery.
> Logical replication may be used in conjunction with streaming physical
> replication and/or PITR, though; it is not necessary to choose one or
> the other."
>
> Am I misinterpreting that BDR uses Logical Decoding and as such I cannot
> perform PITR?

Please keep replies on-list, and don't top-post. :)

What that's saying is that you can't use logical decoding (which BDR
uses) as a backup mechanism. That doesn't mean you can't use PITR. The
only thing PITR really has in common with Logical Decoding is that they
both use WAL.

So my expectation is (I'm not a BDR expert) that you can backup a BDR
database just like any other.