Re: Importing directly from BCP files

От S McGraw
Тема Re: Importing directly from BCP files
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 11/15/2015 07:31 PM, Tim Uckun wrote:
> Does anybody have any documentation on what a BCP file from SQL
> server looks like?  I have a directory full of BCP files and I would
> like to import them into PG.
>
> Has anybody done anything like this before?

I moved a database from MS Sql Server 2000 to Postgresql a few years
ago via BCP files.  I used a Python script to do some fixup on the
BCP files to make them importable as CSV files into Postgresql.  I
don't know if quirks I ran into are still an issue with newer versions
of Sql Server but for what it's worth, here are the comments from that
script:

# This script fixes several problems in the csv data files exported
# from Sql Server by bcp from the SW database.  Specifically:
#
# * Empty strings seem to be exported as a 0x00 byte.  We change
#   those to a pair of double quotes ("") that Postgresql's csv
#   import machinery will treat as an empty string.
# * Some text fields contain an ellipsis character (a single
#   character form of "..." encoded as "\201c".)  We change this
#   to utf-8.
# * Some text lines that had embedded newlines are reproduced
#   literals in the bcp output: the \n starts a new line.
#   We since all our data starts with an id number followed by
#   a tab separator, we assume lines that don't start this way
#   are part of the previous line.

Сообщение: Re: Importing directly from BCP files
Сообщение: Re: Importing directly from BCP files