Re: Online enabling of checksums

От Andrey Borodin
Тема Re: Online enabling of checksums
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hello, Magnus, Peter!

I'm excited that this feature emerged, thanks for the patch. Hope it will help to fix some mistakes made during initdb long time ago...

22 февр. 2018 г., в 18:22, Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com> написал(а):

On 2/21/18 15:53, Magnus Hagander wrote:
*Two new functions are added, pg_enable_data_checksums() and
pg_disable_data_checksums(). The disable one is easy -- it just changes
to disable. The enable one will change the state to inprogress, and then
start a background worker (the “checksumhelper launcher”). This worker
in turn will start one sub-worker (“checksumhelper worker”) in each
database (currently all done sequentially).*

This is at least the fourth version of the pattern launcher plus worker
background workers.  I wonder whether we can do something to make this
easier and less repetitive.  Not in this patch, of course.

Peter, can I ask for some pointers in searching for previous versions?
I want to review patch this patch and some code comparision could be handy....

So far I've found only this [0,1] (without code) and threads mentioned by Magnus [2,3]

Or do you mean extracting "worker+lancher" for reuse for other purposes?

Best regards, Andrey Borodin.