Re: run 2 instances of postgres 9.4 on same linux VM

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: run 2 instances of postgres 9.4 on same linux VM
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 11/10/2015 07:49 AM, anj patnaik wrote:
> Yes, the instance already running is live in that users are indirectly
> querying/writing to it. I just need to launch a 2nd instance.

If you are going to stick with the graphical installer I would probably
post a question here:

http://forums.enterprisedb.com/forums/show/9.page;jsessionid=AF13CFF481AF60D85981D34728FD66DC

You could try an RPM install. That might have risks though:

1) Dueling init scripts.

2) Compile differences in building the different packages.

3) Maintaining two different package update schemes.

Not sure if it possible to spin up another VM and test. Seems the safest
way to make sure you do not trample over your live server.

https://opensourcedbms.com/dbms/running-multiple-postgresql-9-2-instances-on-one-server-in-centos-6rhel-6fedora/

>              Well if you really have your heart set on this I would take
>         look at
>              this:
>
>         http://yum.postgresql.org/howtoyum.php
>
>              Though the above would depend on how you installed your current
>              version of Postgres 9.4.
>
>              So where did you install it from?
>

>                  On Mon, Nov 9, 2015 at 4:30 PM, Adrian Klaver
>                  <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com
>         <mailto:adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>
>         <mailto:adrian.klaver@aklaver.com
>         <mailto:adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>>
>                  <mailto:adrian.klaver@aklaver.com
>         <mailto:adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>
>
>                  <mailto:adrian.klaver@aklaver.com
>         <mailto:adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>>>> wrote:
>
>                       On 11/09/2015 11:40 AM, anj patnaik wrote:
>
>                           I have a linux 6.5 RHEL VM in which I am
>         running an
>                  instance of
>                           PG 9.4.
>                           In order to test NFS, I want to run a second
>         instance
>                  on same VM but
>                           different file system.
>

>         http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/interactive/app-initdb.html
>
>                       init the cluster on the file system you want using -D,
>                  assuming the
>                       VM can access that file system.
>
>                       FYI, best practices is not to run on NFS, so do not be
>                  surprised if
>                       things break.
>

>                           Has anyone done this and is it possible with
>         no issues?
>

>                           Or is it better to run different versions of
>         PG on same
>                  server?
>

>                       No, you just need to make sure the Postgres
>         clusters are
>                  listening
>                       on different ports. That means going into
>         postgresql.conf
>                  in the
>                       cluster and changing the port variable.
>

>                           Please advise. Thanks