Re: pg_restore woes..

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: pg_restore woes..
Дата
Список pgsql-general
>> Lamar Owen wrote:
>>> I can't believe that's the best advice, given that the migration from 7.2 to
>>> 7.3 isn't the easiest one on the world.

> But you can use the 7.3 pg_dump against older servers, so you can
> probably upgrade only pg_dump and keep 7.2 for the rest.

No, because 7.3 pg_dump's output probably won't load into an older
server.  (For example, it'll likely try to use ALTER TABLE ADD PRIMARY
KEY which didn't work before 7.3.  Similar issues occur in every prior
release AFAIR.)  The input-version flexibility in pg_dump is really only
useful in an I'm-upgrading-now scenario.