Re: Recursive Arrays 101

От Rob Sargent
Тема Re: Recursive Arrays 101
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 10/26/2015 08:43 AM, Jim Nasby wrote:
On 10/25/15 8:10 PM, David Blomstrom wrote:
@ Adrian Klaver: Oh, so you're suggesting I make separate tables for
kingdoms, classes and on down to species. I'll research foreign keys and
see what I can come up with. I hope I can make separate tables for
mammal species, bird species, fish species, etc. There are just so many
species - especially fish - the spreadsheets I use to organize them are
just about maxed out as it is.

The suggestion is simply to have 7 tables:

CREATE TABLE kingdom(
  kingdom_id serial PRIMARY KEY
  , kingdom_name text NOT NULL
  , ...
);
CREATE TABLE phylum(
  phylum_id serial PRIMARY KEY
  , kingdom_id int NOT NULL REFERENCES kingdom
  , ...
);
CREATE TABLE class(
);

and so-on.
Seems to me that if life boils down to four attributes one would have a single table with those four attributes on the particular life form.  Now, the four attributes could be ids into definitional tables but I suspect the querying will be done string/name so why complicate the lookups: make the names a foreign key in the defs if necessary.

Personally I think the recursive structure is the way to go.

Сообщение: Re: Service not starting on Ubuntu 15.04
Сообщение: Re: Service not starting on Ubuntu 15.04