Re: Using PostgreSQL with MySQL

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Using PostgreSQL with MySQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 10/25/2015 09:37 AM, David Blomstrom wrote:
> I've already learned that I can install and use MySQL and PostgreSQL
> simultaneously on my laptop, though I haven't yet learned how to connect
> to my Postgre database from a web page, write a query, etc. So here's
> what I'm planning...

FYI, the short version of the name is Postgres.

> I have several big, complex websites driven by a MySQL database. I'd
> like to install PostgreSQL online and use it alongside MySQL in a
> limited way, until I have time to learn it more fully and upgrade my
> database tables and queries. Are there any major snags or pitfalls you
> can see in such an arrangement?

Well you could go the FDW(Foreign Data Wrapper) route:

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Fdw#Foreign_Data_Wrappers

Though that is a later chapter thing.

> I work night shift and am going to be overwhelmed during the holiday
> season. I'm hoping to get a major website(s) upgrade published before
> Thanksgiving. So I'm hoping to hire someone to help me get up to speed -
> create one table the proper way, make a connection and query, then
> recreate everything online.
>
> Do you think there are people in the community who'd be willing to do
> something like that for $100? I don't think it would take more than an hour.
>
> I've found a Seattle PostgreSQL Users Group, but there's no contact
> information, and they only meet once a month - at night. So I can't make
> their meetings, unless I slip in for the first half hour or so.

Well if you find yourself heading North you might see what is on the
docket at Whatcom PostgreSQL(http://www.meetup.com/Whatcom-PostgreSQL/).
We meet at night also so it may not work, but it is another source of
local contacts.

> Anyway, I just wondered what kind of resources are available for this
> sort of thing.

This mailing list is probably the best place to start. Ask a question,
there will someone that has done it or has an opinion on how to do it:)

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com