Re: Drop or alter column under load give ERROR #42804 structure of query does not match function result type:

On 10/12/2015 06:53 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> On 2015-10-09 14:32:44 +0800, Victor Blomqvist wrote:
>>> CREATE FUNCTION select_users(id_ integer) RETURNS SETOF users AS
>>> $$
>>> BEGIN
>>> RETURN QUERY SELECT * FROM users WHERE id = id_;
>>> END;
>>> $$ LANGUAGE plpgsql;
>
>> My guess is that the problem here is that table level locking prevents
>> modification of the "users" type when the table is used, but there's no
>> locking preventing the columns to be dropped while the function is
>> used. So what happens is that 1) the function is parsed & planned 2)
>> DROP COLUMN is executed 3) the contained statement is executed 4) a
>> mismatch between the contained statement and the function definition is
>> detected.
>
> The query plan as such does get refreshed, I believe.  The problem is that
> plpgsql has no provision for the definition of a named composite type to
> change after a function's been parsed.  This applies to variables of named
> composite types for sure, and based on this example I think it must apply
> to the function result type as well, though I'm too lazy to go check the
> code right now.

That makes sense. The problem is that I cannot square that with Albe's
example, which I tested also:

"
Session 1:

test=> CREATE TABLE users (id integer PRIMARY KEY, name varchar NOT
NULL, to_be_removed integer NOT NULL);
CREATE TABLE
test=> CREATE FUNCTION select_users(id_ integer) RETURNS SETOF users AS
        $$BEGIN RETURN QUERY SELECT * FROM users WHERE id = id_; END;$$
LANGUAGE plpgsql;
CREATE FUNCTION

Session 2:

test=> SELECT id, name FROM select_users(18);
  id | name
----+------
(0 rows)

Ok, now the plan is cached.

Now in Session 1:

test=> ALTER TABLE users DROP COLUMN to_be_removed;
ALTER TABLE

Session2:

test=> SELECT id, name FROM select_users(18);
  id | name
(0 rows)

No error.  This is 9.4.4.
"