Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So!

От Gavin Flower
Тема Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So!
Дата
Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So!  (Michael Banck <mbanck@gmx.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 29/09/15 11:54, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Tom Lane wrote:
>>
>>> Now, running gitlab on community-owned hardware would potentially be an
>>> option, if we find gitlab attractive from a functionality standpoint.
>>> The question I'd have about that is whether it has a real development
>>> community, or is open-source in name only.  If github did go belly up,
>>> would we find ourselves maintaining the gitlab code all by ourselves?
>>> That might not be the end of the world, but it wouldn't be a good use
>>> of community time either.
>>>
>>> Fundamentally, we're playing the long game here.  We do not want to
>>> make
>>> a choice of tools that we're going to regret ten years from now.
>>
>> We already made a similar choice some years ago when we started
>> depending on the then-recently open sourced SourceForge code for
>> pgFoundry.  That didn't turn out all that well in the long run.
>
> I think we need to look at long standing FOSS projects with a large
> and extended user base (Redmine, RT). Anything that is fairly
> community specific (Debbugs) likely will cause more heartache than it
> is worth in the long run.
>
> JD

Linux kernel project uses bugzilla (https://bugzilla.kernel.org)
and so does LibreOffice (https://bugs.documentfoundation.org)

I think they are both fairly big projects in for the long haul.

Cheers,
Gavin

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So!
От: "Joshua D. Drake"
Сообщение: Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So!