SEO for documentation

От Amir Rohan
Тема SEO for documentation
Дата
Список pgsql-www
Hi all,

Like most folks, I imagine, I use google to search for postgres
documentation, helping find the chapter I'm looking for by searching for
a term or a GUC, etc'.

The postgres doc website is always in the top hits, but the versions
shown are usually out of data. Examples:

postgres wal_level:

PostgreSQL: Documentation: 9.3: Write Ahead Log
PostgreSQL: Documentation: 9.1: Write Ahead Log
PostgreSQL: Documentation: 9.0: Write Ahead Log
Hot Standby - PostgreSQL wiki

postgres log shipping :

PostgreSQL: Documentation: 9.0: Log-Shipping Standby Servers
PostgreSQL: Documentation: 9.1: Log-Shipping Standby Servers
PostgreSQL: Documentation: 9.4: Log-Shipping Standby Servers
PostgreSQL: Documentation: 9.1: Alternative Method for Log Shipping

postgres warm standby:

Warm Standby Servers for High Availability - PostgreSQL
Warm Standby - PostgreSQL wiki
PostgreSQL: Documentation: 9.3: Log-Shipping Standby Servers
PostgreSQL: Documentation: 9.0: Log-Shipping Standby Servers

Now, perhaps most users are using 9.1 or 9.3 (and why is 9.2 no where
to be seen?), but I'm interested in 9.4 or dev usually and these
often don't show up in the hits.

It seems a small thing, but in the last few days I've been spending
lost of time with the docs and this inconsistency can become annoying
quite quickly.
I think google gives webmasters some control over the navigation
to their site, by cooperating with their crawler. Perhaps
a sitemap could change things for the better. Just a guess,
SEO is not my field.

So, can something be done about this? If the website is instrumented
for it, can you check how many landings on /docs immediately navigate
to another version? that would give sime idea of how common this
pain is.

Regards,
Amir

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления: