Re: logfmt and application_context

От Étienne BERSAC
Тема Re: logfmt and application_context
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Le mercredi 27 septembre 2023 à 10:14 +0200, Daniel Gustafsson a écrit :
> Being a common format in ingestion tools makes it interesting though, but I
> wonder if those tools aren't alreday supporting CSV such that adding logfmt
> won't move the compatibility markers much?

Compared to CSV, logfmt has explicit named fields. This helps tools to
apply generic rules like : ok this is pid, this is timestamp, etc.
without any configuration. Loki and Grafana indexes a subset of known
fields. This is harder to achieve with a bunch a semi-colon separated
values.

Compared to JSON, logfmt is terser and easier for human eyes and
fingers.

This is why I think logfmt for PostgreSQL could be a good option.

Regards,
Étienne