language of error text messages

От Thomas Hill
Тема language of error text messages
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Hi,

I am running my postgreSQL server with german message settings
(lc_messages=de_DE.UTF-8) on a Debian Linux server with english default
settings (LANG=en_Us.UTF-8).

Messages returned to pgAdmin are in german - and  I would like them to
stay in german.

Messages returned when a specific java client program is communicating
with the server I would however like to be in english so my application
error log file only contains english text. The java locale for my
application as such I would like to remain set to german so my menus,
button labels, etc. are in german.

Is this possible? Is there a (driver) setting which allows the language
to specified at a level I would need?

I am aware lc_messages could be changes at the server level in server
confgiguration file. I am also aware that lc_messages can be set at the
data base level.

If there is no setting, are the localized (JDBC?) message texts
available to a java app so that I can use the error code to lookup the
english message text somewhere?

Thanks
Thomas