Re: Fwd: Publishing PG docs

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: Fwd: Publishing PG docs
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
Mr. Kim,

> We are a postgreSQL company in South Korea.
> As a one of our efforts to spread postgreSQL in our country,
> we plan to publish the Korean version of the postgreSQL documentation as
> a printed book
> via Acorn publisher(which is one of the biggest IT publisher in Korea).
>
> But we think that we should check and solve some licensing issues
> with regards to the copyrights of the PG docs.
>
> We will translate the PG docs to the Korean language, and publish the
> translated book.
> And Acorn publisher will sell the books commercially,
> which means that they will seek to make a commercial incomes by selling
> the books.
>
> Is there any issues with selling the translated book commercially?
> We know that the English version was sold by Furtus.com (Is it alive?).
> Any body who is concerned to this issue, please, let us know and give
> some helps.

The documentation is licensed as open source, under the PostgreSQL
license.  As long as you include a copy of the license in the book,
printing it and selling it is perfectly legal.

There's also the issue of using the PostgreSQL trademark.  While this
use of the trademark (on a copy of the documentation) is explicitly
allowed within the Trademark Policy
(https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Trademark_Policy) you can get a
specific authorization by emailing the PostgreSQL Core Team
(pgsql-core@postgresql.org).

Finally, if you're doing this: how about some help translating the
PostgreSQL documentation and error messages into Korean?  We could
really use it.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.