Re: pg_resetsysid

От Petr Jelinek
Тема Re: pg_resetsysid
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2015-07-18 02:29, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 6/14/15 11:29 AM, Petr Jelinek wrote:
>> 0002 - Adds pg_resetsysid utility which changes the system id to newly
>> generated one.
>>
>> 0003 - Adds -s option to pg_resetxlog to change the system id to the one
>> specified - this is separate from the other one as it can be potentially
>> more dangerous.
>
> Adding a new top-level binary creates a lot of maintenance overhead
> (e.g., documentation, man page, translations, packaging), and it seems
> silly to create a new tool whose only purpose is to change one number in
> one file.  If we're going to have this in pg_resetxlog anyway, why not
> create another option letter to assigns a generated ID?  As the
> documentation says, resetting the system ID clears the WAL, so it's not
> like this is a completely danger-free situation.

Well, last time I submitted this I did it exactly as you propose but
there was long discussion about this changing the target audience of
pg_resetxlog and that it would be better as separate binary from
pg_resetxlog.

It might more future proof to have more generic binary which can do all
the less dangerous work that pg_resetxlog does (which currently is
probably only -c and the newly proposed -s). Something like
pg_setcontroldata but that's too long.

Services