Re: Support for N synchronous standby servers - take 2

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: Support for N synchronous standby servers - take 2
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 7/16/15 12:40 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
>> >They may well be 2-3 times as long. Why is that a negative?
> In my opinion, brevity makes things easier to read and understand.  We
> also don't support multi-line GUCs, so if your configuration takes 140
> characters, you're going to have a very long line in your
> postgresql.conf (and in your pg_settings output, etc.)

Brevity goes both ways, but I don't think that's the real problem here;
it's the lack of multi-line support. The JSON that's been proposed makes
you work really hard to track what level of nesting you're at, while
every alternative format I've seen is terse enough to be very clear on a
single line.

I'm guessing it'd be really ugly/hard to support at least this GUC being
multi-line?