Re: TABLESAMPLE doesn't actually satisfy the SQL spec, does it?

От Petr Jelinek
Тема Re: TABLESAMPLE doesn't actually satisfy the SQL spec, does it?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2015-07-16 16:22, Tom Lane wrote:
> Petr Jelinek <petr@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
>> On 2015-07-12 18:02, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> A possible way around this problem is to redefine the sampling rule so
>>> that it is not history-dependent but depends only on the tuple TIDs.
>>> For instance, one could hash the TID of a candidate tuple, xor that with
>>> a hash of the seed being used for the current query, and then select the
>>> tuple if (hash/MAXINT) < P.
>
>> That would work for bernoulli for physical tuples, yes. Only thing that
>> worries me is future extensibility for data sources that only provide
>> virtual tuples.
>
> Well, repeatability of a TABLESAMPLE attached to a join seems like an
> unsolved and possibly unsolvable problem anyway.  I don't think we should
> assume that the API we define today will cope with that.

Ok, It's true that the implementations I've seen in other databases so
far only concern themselves by sampling physical relations and ignore
the rest.

> But that is another reason why the current API is inadequate: there's no
> provision for specifying whether or how a tablesample method can be
> applied to non-base-table RTEs.  (I re-read the thread and noted that
> Peter E. complained about that some time ago, but nothing was done about
> it.  I'm fine with not supporting the case right now, but nonetheless
> it's another reason why we'd better make the API more easily extensible.)

Nothing in terms of implementation yes, I did write my idea on how this
could be done via extending the current API in the future. I won't try
to pretend that I am absolutely sure that the API might not need some
breaking change to do that though.

Services