Re: A table of magic constants

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: A table of magic constants
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 07/11/2015 01:55 PM, Dane Foster wrote:
> Hello Adrian,
>
> Thank you for the additional reference links but my concern was less
> about how to find out what a function (formerly magic constant) that I
> encountered in the wild did but more about having a list that would
> educate newcomers/me about what is automatically available for use. For
> example, in the RLS example from my original message, had I the same or
> similar need as the poster I would not have been able to formulate the
> policy that I quoted because I had no clue that SESSION_USER even
> existed. Specifically I would not have been able to formulate the
> following clause, "... WITH CHECK (username = SESSION_USER)", w/o first
> knowing that SESSION_USER was a thing.

Well that is a generic problem of how to know what you do not know.
Similar to starting out looking for a job when the jobs want job
experience. The documentation, as you have found out, is extensive.
1000+ pages the last time I heard someone printing it out. So just
reading through it and learning everything is not feasible. I would say
learn on a problem by problem basis. Start doing something, go to the
section of the docs that deal with that and look at the examples, they
tend to illustrate common problems. Next step would be using your
favorite search engine and looking up examples, say 'Postgres get
current user example'. In DuckDuckGo this has one of the links Ray
posted as the first hit. Ask this list. FYI, convention on the list is
to bottom post.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Сообщение: Re: A table of magic constants
Сообщение: Re: A table of magic constants