Re: database-level lockdown

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: database-level lockdown
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 07/07/2015 06:44 AM, Filipe Pina wrote:
> On Ter, Jul 7, 2015 at 2:31 , Alban Hertroys <haramrae@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 7 July 2015 at 12:55, Filipe Pina <filipe.pina@impactzero.pt> wrote:
>>
>>     On Ter, Jul 7, 2015 at 1:41 , Adrian Klaver
>>     <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
>>
>>         Still not sure what is you are trying to accomplish. Is it
>>         really necessary that every transaction be serialized? Or to
>>         put it another way, why are you running in serializable by
>>         default? Or yet another way, what is the problem you are
>>         trying to solve with serialized transactions?
>>
>>     Exactly, that's the twist I've decided after some tests yesterday
>>     (the "lock all tables on last try" degraded performance in an
>>     obscene way): giving up on serializable by default. I wanted to
>>     use serializable so developers wouldn't have to worry about
>>     properly using locks, but implementing this "serialization
>>     failure" handler is becoming a major headache...
>>
>> What Adrian was trying to get out of you is why you think you need
>> those locks. You're working with an RDBMS, it does the job of keeping
>> data integrity in a multi-user environment already. You can trust it
>> do do that well. So unless you're doing something really special, you
>> shouldn't need to lock anything. Among the special cases where you do
>> need locks are things like needing a gapless sequence (invoice numbers
>> come to mind); things like that. So once again, what do you need those
>> locks for? P.S. Please don't top-post on this list. I had to edit your
>> message to fix the flow of the conversation.
>> --
>> If you can't see the forest for the trees, Cut the trees and you'll
>> see there is no forest.
>
> It probably wasn't clear but the conversation did start with exposing my
> issue, I'll try to rephrase.
>
> Serializable keeps data integrity of the database, that's true. But it
> does that by "refusing" transactions that would compromise it (with
> error 40001).
>
> I need to make sure no transactions fail due to such errors, so I made
> an handler to retry transactions if they fail due to 40001.
> But I can't leave it retrying forever, so I have this (configurable)
> limit of 5 retries.
> 5 retries might be enough in some case, but it might not be enough in
> others.
>
> So how do I make sure the last try would not fail with serialization error?
> I could only come up with the idea of using LOCK database (on that last
> try) but as it is not available in PG, I went for "lock all tables".
>
> Does it make sense now?
> I was probably having the wrong approach to the problem anyway, I've
> went with "read committed" mode now and normal locking (SELECT .. FOR
> UPDATE on the required spots) and it works better..

You also mentioned that this for a Django application, have you looked
at its new(since 1.6) transaction management?:

https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.8/topics/db/transactions/

It allows you fairly fine grained control over transactions, including
access to savepoints.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Сообщение: Re: pg_dump (PostgreSQL) 9.4.1 - delay in checking if file exists
Сообщение: Re: pg_dump (PostgreSQL) 9.4.1 - delay in checking if file exists