Re: Raising our compiler requirements for 9.6

От Oskari Saarenmaa
Тема Re: Raising our compiler requirements for 9.6
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
01.07.2015, 23:33, Tom Lane kirjoitti:
>> At the very least I think we should start to rely on 'static inline's
>> working. There is not, and hasn't been for a while, any buildfarm animal
>> that does not support it
>
> pademelon doesn't.

HP-UX 10.20 was released in 1996, last shipped in July 2002 and
unsupported since July 2003.  Assuming the new features aren't going to
be used in release branches PG 9.5 is probably going to support that
platform longer than there's hardware to run it..

> But we should not fool ourselves that this comes at zero
> compatibility cost.

But compatibility with obsolete platforms doesn't come with zero cost
either -- and judging from the fact that no one noticed until now that
you couldn't even configure PG 9.0 .. 9.3 on recent Solaris 10 releases
(which I believe was the most popular proprietary Unix) suggests that
not a whole lot of people care about those platforms anymore.

/ Oskari