Re: Include.d and warnings

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Include.d and warnings
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 06/24/2015 02:01 AM, Andomar wrote:
> We've set up an include directory in postgresql.conf:
>
>      include_dir = 'conf.d'
>
> The include directory has a file that changes the value of
> "max_connections".
>
> Now when we reload Postgres, an error appears in the logs:
>
> -----
> parameter ""max_connections"" cannot be changed without restarting the
> server
> configuration file ""/var/lib/pgsql/9.4/data/postgresql.conf"" contains
> errors; unaffected changes were applied
> -----
>
> But max_connections did not change before the reload.  It is just
> overruled in an included configuration file.

But it is part of the reloaded file and gets read, otherwise what would
be the point of includes?

> Is this behavior "by design", or should Postgres not give an error under
> the above circumstances?

Well it is the same message you get if you change that value in a file
without an include. The docs say this is by design:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/interactive/config-setting.html#CONFIG-SETTING-CONFIGURATION-FILE

"Some parameters can only be set at server start; any changes to their
entries in the configuration file will be ignored until the server is
restarted."

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com