Re: pg_start_backup does not actually allow for consistent, file-level backup

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: pg_start_backup does not actually allow for consistent, file-level backup
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 06/08/2015 06:26 AM, otheus uibk wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 3:13 PM, otheus uibk <otheus.uibk@gmail.com
> <mailto:otheus.uibk@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Thank you, all.  The manual for 9.4 is indeed clearer on this point
>     than the 9.1 version.
>

> Just to nit-pick, I see nowhere in either version of the manual the
> indication that it is normal for postgresql to continue to update files
> in its data catalog between pg_start_backup and pg_stop_backup. The
> closest I see comes in this paragraph:
>
> ** Some file system backup tools emit warnings or errors if the files
> they are trying to copy change while the copy proceeds. When taking a
> base backup of an active database, this situation is normal and not an
> error.
>
> Does "this situation" refer to the tools emitting warnings or to the
> fact that postgresql is updating the files? It might be the case, for
> instance, that timestamps are updated but not the contents of the files
> (this is what I had assumed prior to today).

Not sure what you are using these backups for, but have you looked at?:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/app-pgbasebackup.html

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

От: Adrian Klaver
Сообщение: Re: pg_start_backup does not actually allow for consistent, file-level backup
Сообщение: Re: pg_start_backup does not actually allow for consistent, file-level backup